Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Impressions and that damn environment again...

So got into a discussion this weekend about people who do impressions of people that are spot-on duplicates of the original person... with some embellishment for humor. Scott Thompson as QE2 floats to the top as one of the best. But I forgot an old favourite, this gem from a Gap commercial back 'round the turn of the century...



Also, been spending a lot of my time in the past few weeks working on ideas to lessen my "carbon footprint". I did a few jobs I've been delaying on, such as updating the house lighting to compact fluorescents, starting another person on a vermicompost, planted a couple trees, biking to work everyday (even when I don't want to), planting some other plants and getting the recycling together. Also have been trying to spend less time indoors using energy and more time outdoors enjoying free entertainment. Among some of my initiatives I'm personally trying (and dragging the family along with me) are the following ;
- Buying a small solar charged battery system for use in house and while out camping.
- Completing the upgrade of the lighting in the house, including switching over to CFL's about 4-5 more sockets and putting in more localized light like lamps so less power need be used.
- Xeriscape the yard (probably for next year, just waiting to see whether we can buy our house
- Seal windows and doors
- and reduce meat consumption by 25% in the next year.
- Purchasing as much environmentally friendly products as possible, the President's Choice line is a great place to start.

None of this is going to be very hard, and I hope that it will all help make a difference. I know I've asked this before in the past, but hey I'm still looking for ideas. Anyone else make any major changes since Live Earth? If not, why not try now, let me know what you're up to!

2 comments:

Soulfood said...

*gasp!* But Jeremy...cutting back on meat!? But meat is GOOD!!! Freak!

Pilon, A said...

AS of today I'm not going to flush the toilet anymore...I'm just gonna shit and piss on the carpet and see how my land-lady likes THAT shit! Next time she'll learn to ask before she decides to go into MY fucking place of residence!