Friday, September 16, 2005

Shaq : Steel in My Book

See that guy to the right. That's Shaquille O'Neal as the titleing on the image suggests. He's the star player for the Miami Heat. And incidentally everytime he comes on TV I am heard to remark enthusiastically (and sarcastically), "Oh boy I hope he's making Kazaam 2!"

Why do I treat such a happy looking guy so poorly, even though I don't know him? Well mostly my spiteful attitude towards rich sports celebrities and plus he's a terrible actor.

But the other day I stumbled across this article at Sports Illustrated Online that changed my mind a bit. It seems Shaq is not only writing a cheque or playing in a celebrity gold tournament to support those affected by the hurricane. He's getting his hands wet. Him and his family have rented a warehouse, hired trucks and are personally handling and moving donations from the community at large. This is above and beyond his call of duty, but by his example more people will be inclined to help out. really makes me respect the guy that much more.

Maybe next time, I won't be so rough on him when he approaches the free throw line.

2 comments:

Soulfood said...

I liked Kazaam!!! hahaha

Anonymous said...

I'm glad someone is helping those people out! Their fucking government sure isn't!!! Damn American's!!! (just watch me end up an American in a few years!!!)This will all come back to haunt me I can see it now!