Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Saving the World Thrid Edition

So I've been having a hard couple months and a hard week in particular. This is making my blog a little depressing. So I figured I'd try and keep a positive attitude and maybe help someone else worse off than me. So I've dug up this old draft from my old "Save the World" series on the blog. Since The Pylon has all but died, I think it's entirely appropriate to reintroduce the concept to Pilots World. If you haven't seen the past two, check them out ; "Heal the World Make it a Better Place" and "More Easy Ways to Heal the World".

Also I'm still looking for my frisbee.

All of my ideas have centred around Canadian programs or programs availiable to Canadians. This is because I AM Canadian. If you would like me to feature programs for other countries (US, South America, Europe... etc.) please leave me a comment or e-mail, and I'd be glad to oblige. If you would like help finding simmilar programs in your own country or area, please e-mail me and I'll do what I can to help you find the info. Of course some of these can be done anywhere.

So here are some more easy ideas.

1 . Start a Penny/Nickel Jar - Put it on the cupboard and put your loose change in it. Forbid anyone from using it for anything but charity or fundraising. So now when something comes up, you'll have some change around. As the jar fills, roll the coin and exchange it for bills or larger coins. UNICEF comes at Halloween? Give them something from the jar. Cancer Society or Alzheimers Association come by on a pledge drive, you'll have something on hand to give them. Even if the Boy Scouts or Girl Guides come by on a drive, support these wonderful youth groups, by buying what they're hocking, you've got some extra money on hand, and even if "I don't want that crap around the house, I'll get fat", give it as a present to a friend or a neighbor who helps out, it'll brighten their day.

2 . Don't idle - Turn your car off if you're going to idle your car for more than 10 seconds. According to National Resources Canada, your car uses much less gas starting/restarting than by leaving it idling, for more than 10 seconds. They also say its a myth that idling is good for your engine, that it infact can be detrimental. If you say otherwise, site your source, and grandpa, dad, that kid at the Shell station or some guy, don't count. Use a block heater on a timer in the winter to keep your car engine from freezing and make the start easier.

3. Check out The Stephen Lewis Foundation - http://www.stephenlewisfoundation.org/index.html - Though I ENCOURAGE you to sign up for the newsletter, for the purpose of this exercise, I think its more than enough that you spend a couple minutes checking out the page, learn what can and is being done about AIDS.

4. Save your Labels - Campbells soup will donate products to schools who collect and redeem labels from eligible products. Check for a school near you, and then collect the labels and bring by the labels occasionally as you collect them. Or perhaps you know someone, a cousin or a friend who's school collects the labels... give e'm to them. There are a couple other simmilar programs I'll cover in a later installment, Box Tops for Education(US), and Heinz Baby food for the Childrens Miracle Network.

5 comments:

Pilon, A said...

But my grandpa, dad, and Jared Durston at the Shell are great sources!

Soulfood said...

But my grandpa, dad, and Dave Turk at Co-Op are all great sources!

Anonymous said...

If you are alone, call this number 800-211-9293. Connect with Real Singles from your local area instantly for only $0.99/min with a $4.99 connection fee. A true Match is only one phone call away 800-211-9293. Meet people with common interests and desires now. Check it out. 800-211-9293

Anonymous said...

oh my god, thank goodness that someone is finally speaking to me, i'm gonna pursue a random phone number i found on a blog comment page and find the love of my life...

it must be fate, sorry kat

Anonymous said...

kat's in weyburn, thus i am presently alone, she wouldn't mind, i swear we've had this discussion before...

i mean, you shoulda heard about the lesbians she was hanging around with in montreal