Monday, October 05, 2009

The Pilot' World Orchestra

I've always been someone who has a love of rich full sounding music. I like "epic".

I'd like to share with you a list of instuments, both rare and common that I would have in my perfect "orchestra".

The Beam - a gigantic custom built instument using 24 piano strings it is perhaps most famous in its use on the soundtrack of the film - Chronos. I love it's singing highs and it's rumbling lows.



The Glass Harmonica - invented by Benjamin Franklin, this is a haunting instument that is really just a mechanized version of the ol' wet finger on a wine glass trick. Bet you never knew what they used for that high part in Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy -



The Pipe Organ - You Tube can't do this instrument justice... maybe it's my Catholic upbringing but something about the pipe organ shakes me to my very cockles. No wonder the church uses it... how could you not be inspired by this thing!



The Vibraphone - Ah the great calm after the pipe organs and beams. This is one of the most relaxing and immersive instruments on my list. I just fall right in. My favourite performance is actually on a contemporary track, "Wake Up" by Mad Season. Not a spectacular complex song, but wow... emotion



Timpany - Well we need some more percussion don't we? Lordy.. .this list is full of it. Who can resist the timpany, when I was in school I would spare no effort to try and play the timpany in the band room at least once a week.



Tubular Bells - another old favourite from band class. It's the peircing nature of this one that I love so.



Moog Synth - well c'mon - aside from revolutionizing music, it might be the best instument invented in the past 300 years.



So there's a good start to my orchestra. I'm sure there are many more... not sure how to get all these together, or even what we'd play, but they shape my sound and what I love about music.


What instruments do you like?

1 comment:

Pilon, A said...

the triangle.