Thursday, November 29, 2007

Oh Web 2.0, are you killing us all?

I'm an avid reader of a trio of webcomics by married couple Natalie Dee and Drew. In fact Rhonda and I recently bought a pair of T-Shirts each from them to help support the kickass work they do.

I think one of the most attractive parts of their webcomics is that they are almost the exact age as us and have simmilar interests and social identities, loving music, counter culture, humour, the internet and being stuck in urban centers in rural areas.

I've found that they also have both been showing alot of frustration with the internet of late, and I can't help but identify with them a little. It's this double edged sword. It stems from a real love and appreciation for the internet and what it's become, and a real hate and loathing of the internet and what it's become.

Since the internet's growth has taken a steeper and steeper upward curve every year, my usage and interest has waned in an opposite fashion. My days of being able to spend 8 hours online are long over. There's just too much crap to sift through to find the good stuff, so I end up just sticking to a small handful of tried and true sites and fuck the rest. This is why newer internet fads like Facebook, MySpace, Flickr and lately my blogging have fallen to the wayside. I've been finding that quite frankly, real life is a hell of alot more interesting, and I'm getting alot more done because of it.

The ability of any Tom, Dick or Harry to post shit online is not necessarily a good thing in my eyes.

1 comment:

Soulfood said...

It's all about StumbleUpon. That has renewed my ability to surf for hours and hours and hours...many hours past when I should be in bed.

You want I should stumble your blog??