Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Election Time!

It's election time again, and that means... a pain in the ass. But the democratic process is important and to paraphrase my sister, we all need to do our research and get involved. I've actually taken a step in the right direction by joining a political party for the first time. i am now a member of the New Democratic Party of Canada. i had thought of joining the Green Party, but I wanted to be part of a party that has a voice in the house and has a representative in my riding.

I encourae all my readers to do their research and if they know who they will be voting for, please join that party. I'm less interested in who you vote for, rather, that you vote. it only cost me $7 to join hte NDP, the green party is only $10 and the cost is tax deductible. I've include links below to information on how to join most (if not all) the federal political parties. If missed any, let me know, i'll post them.

Green Party of Canada -
$10
New Democratic Party of Canada - $7 (26 and under) $10 (26+)
Liberal Party of Canada - Contacted them via e-mail $5-$10
Conservative Party of Canada - $10
Bloc Quebecquois - server error, but they're working on it. Hey I understand French!
Canadian Action Party - $5 Student, $10 regular
Christian Heritage Party of Canada - $25 for 3 year membership
Communist Party of Canada - Under Support/Join - no dues listed.
Communist Party of Canada (maxis-Leninist) - awaiting information
Freedom Party of Canada - $10
Grey Party - No information on website and was unable to contact by e-mail
Libertarian Party of Canada - $10
Marijuana Party of Canada - Free!
Progressive Canadians Party - $10
Western Block - $10

There are a few other parties, but those are the ones currently registered with Elections Canada. So there's the info you need. I've contacted several of the parties for more info, so I'll keep you posted when that information comes in. Be sure you visit their webpages and understand their platforms before joining and I'll see you at the Polls in January!

5 comments:

Soulfood said...

NDP! I can't believe you're my brother. Haha.

Anyway, I have to disagree that joining Green would be bad. Because of the amount of votes Green got last election, they are now eligible for federal funding. So, I think we'll see a lot more of Green this election. Also, I suspect within 3 elections, we'll be seeing them in the national debates.

Also, I don't think it's necessary to join the party unless you truly believe in their ideology. If you just are going to vote for them this time because of their platform, but no guarantees about next time, then don't join. Joining a party means going to conventions and helping make decisions on the platform. So, if this is what you want, then join. but if it's just, "oh, I guess I'll vote for them this election" then I think it's unnecessary to join.

fljcc

Pilot said...

Yeah welll by being a member, i can make descisions as to the direction the party takes, as opposed to just choosing which evil I want.

Steven said...

I have to go with the NDP probably for this election too. I probably won't join any parties(although joining Green would be cool).

I guess I vote NDP for the same reason as Jeremy. According to you Shanna, there is going to be more Green this time around, but that is still to be seen. If Green does end up being more powerful, then they definitely get my vote... or one of the communist ones... because they're commies.

ozgglnmb

Anonymous said...

it's not just what party you belong to, you have to understand what they represent, they all have a platform and a mandate, read them first, and you'll discover the stances on the parties, which will often contain things that would surprise you...and no, you don't have to participate, much of it is for financial support...but you have the option to have a say if you choose to...

but is it a good idea to go out and just join a party? well, that's up to you, but make sure you know it first...

i haven't renewed my membership, but i have been a long member of the green party, however, i have long ago blocked the mass emails they send me...i don't know what that's supposed to say, but well, it was a long day at work, goodnight...

Anonymous said...

This is yet another election where I will probably have to concede to voting on strategy rather than principle. With an apparent dead heat between the Liberals and Conservatives I feel it is important to use my vote to choose the proverbial "devil I know" so as to hopefully avoid the election of the "devil i know will destroy all of the hard work that has been done to pick up the pieces after his predecessor nicely fucked things up a bit..." or more accurately the proverbial counterpoint "devil i don't know."

In this case, and it's certainly too early to call here as there is a gruelling 8-week campaign ahead of us, but I believe I will likely vote Liberal for the sake of increasing their seats on the government side. However, the NDP has gained significantly in the polls and if these polls (which I feel are both a tool and a weapon in electioneering) indicate a further gain for this, my house party of preference consequently turning it into a 3-way heat, I will definitely vote NDP. This would be my preferred outcome, but as I said, a strategic vote may be a necessary action this time around (as it was last time when this government was elected).

Voting on principle, I vote Green as well. I was lucky enough to not have to vote strategically in the last provincial election in Manitoba, in which I proudly cast my support for the Green Party by making a graphite X beside their candidate's name, knowing that simply by doing that, I was helping out their provincial funding.

So aside from the lengthy list of parties that may be running in your riding this winter, it's important to know the strategy (if you feel that is important). And yes, do your research on all the parties. It will only make you smarter.

Let the race begin.