Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Blogging from the woods.

During the Great Non-Bloggening™, Andrew and I hosted a radio show called The Cockpit. It was a rock-centred show we hosted Thursday nights for about 5 years on CJTR. I enjoyed every minute of doing it but my commitment to helping out, a pandemic, and one of our key players getting traded to Saskatoon for a slice of peach cobbler and a scratched Boyz 2 Men CD spelled the end of the show on Dec 31, 2020. 

One of the fun ideas we had during the show was the Saskatchewan Summer Playlist, a Spotify playlist of songs by Saskatchewan artists. My thought was it would be something great to listen to at the lake or backyard party. Music to listen to under living skies. 

Once the show finished, the paths to new music didn't stop and I wanted somewhere to dump my discoveries. It resulted in my first summer playlist. A pure jam of songs that are already nostalgic only a few years later. 

As I repeated the same tasks for playlists in 2022 and 2023, it's become really quite effortless. Every weekend I check out what is new, add the bangers to the list. Sprinkle in the odd song from a band we see live, heard on the radio or learned on guitar.

Years later, I'm still capturing that lake vibe, I always know it's going to be playing for my family and other people so I often find myself plucking out some of the heavier/screamer bits. But they still get in there.  

While it's not the all-Saskatchewan playlist it originally was, it still does feature its share of local and small artists. I feel unapologetic about my quota.

An olive green Bluetooth stereo on an elevated, unlit firepit. There is forest in the background.

As I sit in my campsite listening to this year's entry*, I'm proud of what I've put together again. If you take a listen and have a suggestion, let me know! The list isn't usually done until late September. 




* You hear that Pilot from the past all blogging from his BlackBerry like it's a thing? I'm just sitting here in a campsite like it ain't not thang. With like 1998 dialup speeds. And my phone really isn't much bigger, or frankly different or does much new. Some things never change. WAIT UNTIL YOU LEARN WHAT AI IS UP TO IN 2024! Still nothing really. 




No comments: