Tuesday, September 03, 2024

Football - a lament

I should feel better about this past weekend. Not only did I get to attend two live football games, one included my current favourite team - the Regina Peewee Vikings, and the other was the Labour Day Classic with my usual favourite - the Saskatchewan Roughriders. 

I always say that a close football game is a good game. And indeed for both games, that was the case. Either team had the win up until the last moments of the game. But I would have preferred some wins. 

For the Vikings, they suffered their first defeat (and first points scored against them) this weekend. With a 22-16 finish, it wasn't that bad and the players need to experience a team that was hard to beat. On the positive side, Jonas finally got a few hits and pushes during the game and is really taking to football.

We found out late on Saturday that we'd also come into some free tickets to the Labour Day game. I don't remember the last time I went, but it was back when Bombers fans were a fun group to pick on. This time, they just seemed annoying. Most of it really was in good fun but when a particularly drunk mongoloid of a fan started picking on me in the 3rd quarter - well I lowered my shoulder and got to firing back. I don't think he really liked me reminding him to wash his hands when he was done in the bathroom. Probably doesn't know how soap works. 

No matter how much their fans smelled like rotten onions, the Bombers came to play football and held on to win the game 33-30. Another close match I wish we'd won. But the Riders are struggling through this second third of the season and need to figure out how they'll fix things to finish off the 2024 run. 

It was a jam-packed weekend with lots of socializing and events. I'm happy I survived but it's the first time in a while I've been happy to be back at work so I can catch a break. And next weekend is going to be even busier. More on that in next week's post (hint: it will be my first Pilot's World on location in ages and in a completely new place the blog hasn't visited before).


1 comment:

The Navigator said...

On location!?! My god.....the anticipation is going to kill me!