Sunday, October 06, 2024

Happy Pizzamas!

A very happy Pizzamas

What the heck is Pizzamas? Well, I'm relatively new to the movement and if you look it up you'll mostly find that it doesn't really mean anything. But stuff does happen during Pizzamas. 

At its core, Pizzamas is a 2-week celebration of very old internet inside jokes, John Green with a moustache (called "Pizza John") and raising money to reduce or eliminate maternal mortality. I'm on board just to buy a shirt that says "Pizza", supports artists and helps babies who need the support. But add bad nerd jokes and an excuse to make pizza and I'm here. Overall, it's a couple of weeks celebrated by Nerdfighteria, championed by the Vlog Brothers, John Green and Hank Green. 

One of the challenges the Green Brothers give themselves during Pizzamas is to post daily like they did in the days of old. While the re-launch of Randomjunkification and Pilot's World is inspired by the Vlog Bros. I really wasn't in the mood to blog every day this week. But I did want to challenge myself a bit. 

I've been toying with a song called "Punk Rock Pizza Party" over the last few weeks and I figured, getting a demo of the song down for Pizzamas would be a good challenge that would help me get the song into some kind of finished form and observe one of the fun parts of Pizzamas. 

It's a bit rough, there are a few lines that need to be rewritten but overall, I'm happy to show you a brand-new song. Here is "Punk Rock Pizza Party".




Originally, I'd hoped to integrate some of Hank Green's jokes into the lyrics. I hoped to make it a bit more collaborative and bring some of that Pizzamas feel to it. Not to mention since I'm trying to do a humour music project, I needed some jokes to work with. 

There were plenty of jokes in the first draft of the lyrics, but it was super awkward. I did a full rewrite of the lyrics and they make way more sense now, but they're really not that funny. Maybe a bit silly. 

Some Pizzamas stuff did survive though. I've got a great reference to "None pizza with left beef" from The Sneeze and I've included one of Hank's jokes in the form of the "no matter how you slice it" line. Unfortunately, the lyric doesn't fit very nicely in the melody there. 

Hey, it's a demo, there's lots of work to do yet. I'd love to play this one with a full 3-piece band and some gang vocals. Maybe someday! 

Hope you enjoyed and Happy Pizzamas! 

1 comment:

The Navigator said...

Just as I was thinking to myself "This isn't punk! He doesn't go after the establishment!" you went and told that geezer to get out of your pad! Nice!

I love the song. And it doesn't have to have jokes to be silly. Sometimes Weird Al just plays the song Polka style and it's funny.